Awkward Seasons Greetings

13 Dec

Finish The Sentence Friday…This Christmas Season, I will nail the Holiday Greeting.

One thing you must know about me is that I have a large family; 7 kids on my dad’s side and 5 on my mom’s. Throw in 2-5 (sometimes more) “Love children” and you get a whole lot of cousins and a whole lot of family parties. My family is so big, that I don’t really know how many cousins I truly have. My family just knows how to mass produce humans.

We're related.

We’re related.

So as Christmas draws near, so do the parties, gatherings and of course, the awkward greetings.

Truth is, saying hello to anyone whether it’s a stranger, friend or family can be awkward. When I lived down south people weren’t so touchy feely when they said “hello”. They shake hands, maybe even do a side-shoulder bump, but they keep it very simple..in fact, so simple, there isn’t room for awkwardness.

But, when I moved up north, EVERYONE kisses and believe it or not, not everyone from NJ/NY is Italian. But on a side note, I do try and limit the amount of Italian friends I have because of this reason. (Kidding – non Italians kiss too.)

O Shit, Not the Italians!

O Shit, Not the Italians!

Everyone has a certain style of saying hi; some people handshake (way more my speed) and some people hug and then some people kiss. And if you don’t know the person that well, you have no idea what kind of greeting they prefer because everyone prefers a certain type of greeting.

Now, you are sitting there like, what the hell is this girl talking about, this shit doesn’t exist, but you are wrong! This shit DOES exist and in many forms:

Types of Greeters:

The Side Hugger: This person gives half-assed hugs that end up being more of like a side-shoulder hug. If you go in for the full hug and they only go halfway, you have got yourself a side-hugger. I think you all know how I feel about this type of hug.

awkward-side-hug

The “Patting” hugger: This person embraces you full force like a lion, which is comforting if it’s your parent, child or spouse, but sometimes it’s your creepy uncle. Anyways, they hug you hard and pat your back more than 3 times, which is too long. You pull away like a normal person, but they are still patting and you respond by going back into the lion-hug embrace. Now, you have been hugging for more than 10 seconds and this has officially turned into an awkward, creepy hug.

original

The cheek kisser: This person presses their cheek against yours and makes a kissing sound as if your cheeks grew lips over-night. I’m sorry, when did our cheeks grow lips? Sometimes cheeks are greasy and leave residue on your face and that residue clogs your pores and gives you pimples. Cheeks weren’t meant to kiss.

OB-BF022_kiss_p_20080326173943

You know Bushy hated this

The Handshake-Side Hugger: This is usually a man thing. Two men grab hands and pull each-other in for a side hug with the opposite arm. It’s cute and it’s how Gangsters say hello, but when one person leans in the wrong way, this handshake-hug can lead into a semi-square dancing show-down.

EUdlN

Of course the White guy messes this up

The Kiss-Hug combo-er: This person goes for the kiss, then the hug. They are aggressive, which is great for you because you can follow their lead, thus leaving little room for mistakes. However, if you go for the Hug-kiss combo (the opposite order), you end up kissing them on the lips or it rolls into a full-fledged head dance.

29bdac78ca24a7058dddf882ea09995c

The Head Dance: happens with kissers, specifically the kiss-hug combo-ers or cheek kissers.

Scene: Your great aunt Maggie and you both walk over to say hello. You go to the left, she goes to the right and now you both are on a crash collision to the lips. You quickly pull back, given that you are faster than she is, but she surprises you by quickly switching sides as well. Now you are back at square one.

Until one individual claims a side, this situation can begin to look like this bird on crack.

tumblr_mhk1kl9M5G1r5c792o1_250

Height: You knew this was coming…One greeter is too tall, the other is too small…hugs can be awkward. I recommend skipping any type of cheek kissing in this situation because the small person is always going to under-shoot the target and end up kissing your shoulder or boob.

worlds_tallest_man_bao_xishun_1b

Height with Tall people: As a tall individual, I have grown accustom to being the “Above the fold” hugger. The “Above the fold” hugger puts their arms up high for a hug, while a “Below the fold” hugger takes the bottom portion of the hug. This usually works out fine in a tall-short situation, but never works in a tall-tall situation.

When two tall people both go “Above the fold” they end up with an awkward “high-five” and no hug.

tiger-woods-high-five

The Handshake Diss: I call this move a handshake diss because it makes you feel stupid as shit.

Typically, this happens with someone you just met, someone you think you already met or a co-worker. Let’s take the co-worker for example. You have worked with someone for a while and now, they are leaving the company. On their last day of work, it comes time to say goodbye. You are legitimately upset because you really enjoyed this person. Maybe they made you laugh or bought you lunch or whatever…the point is you are now upset. As you say goodbye, you go in for the hug and mid-way through, the other person sticks out their hand for a “professional” handshake. Now all of your body mass has been displaced toward that individual and it is too late to pull back.  You have been caught and can’t even pretend you were going to tie your shoe or act like you had to sneeze. So you try and redeem yourself by quickly sticking out your hand for the shake.

Awkward for two reasons, #1, you now know that this person doesn’t have the same feelings for you and #2, other people nearby now think you have random body spasms.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15379-1367520646-3

With all this in mind, your holiday parties just got really complicated and saying hello is only the start. After the hello’s, you have to worry about things like how stupid you look when you eat, all the wrong things you say at the dinner table and making small talk with people you don’t give two shits about.

My advice, start the party off right by being the better “Greeter”. If you end up getting too drunk or spill food all over your outfit… hey, at least you give a killer hello.

Have a fabulous party season and remember, your cheeks do not have lips.

Pink-Glitter-Lips-Kawaii-Make-Up-Inspiration

Advertisements

17 Responses to “Awkward Seasons Greetings”

1. Janine Huldie December 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

This one had me smiling from ear to ear, because I am from NY and Italian and yes we are huggers!! Thank for linking up and sharing this with us today!! 🙂

• rynolexson December 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Yes, you Italians really know how to hug 🙂 Thanks for checking out the post!

2. donofalltrades December 13, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Hahahaha! Hey, I’m Italian and I admit that I like a good hugger! I have this same issue when I greet my black or Italian friends, especially when I haven’t seen them in a while. They all have their own greeting and I’m not in the loop enough to know what any of them are!

3. Kerri @ Undiagnosed but okay December 13, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

HA! Perfect guide to how to greet. May I suggest you enter the room and say HI Y’ALL Even better, bring a friend and tell them there will be a quiz at the end of the night!

• rynolexson December 13, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks for reading!! I frequently wonder how many people actually read this stuff 🙂
      A great idea indeed, I will have to pull out my inner, southern “Y’all” and see what kind of weird northern faces I get.

4. cynkingfeeling December 13, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Loved your “guide to greeters.” Those images were priceless!

• rynolexson December 13, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Thanks!! It was quite an adventure on google to find them all, but it was well worth it in the end.

5. findingninee December 13, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Ha!v My step-mom’s family are lip-kissers. I still try for the cheek, after 14 years. This was a super-funny post!

• rynolexson December 13, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

Haha oooo lip kissers, that brings things to a whole new level. I feel bad for you this season. Especially if the lip kissers wear lipstick!

6. Lizzy - Muddle-Headed Mamma December 13, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Bahaha! Loved it! My partner is Italian and when he first migrated to Australia, there were so many awkward moments when he went to kiss my friends and family members on the cheek and they took a step backwards, or they anticipated the first kiss, but not the second kiss on the other cheek! I’ve also held out my hand to shake hands with people sometimes and they’ve looked at me like “what do you want me to do with that??”. Lol – thanks for the giggle 🙂

• rynolexson December 14, 2013 at 2:08 am #

Why can’t we all have a standard greeting law? Right?! Avoids so many mishaps.

Thanks for coming by and reading, I always love hearing about the giggles 🙂

7. lrconsiderer December 14, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

You can’t just walk in and yell “I’m HERE! Y’all can start having fun now, and thank me later”

I love how you broke down the different types of hug, and believe me, I felt your awkwardness! I totally getcha.

• rynolexson December 15, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Lol!! Yes I should, “the party has arrived folks, no need for hugs”. Thanks for understanding my awkwardness!

8. Jen December 15, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

This was hilarious! Thank you for the laugh, I needed it!

• rynolexson December 15, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

Thank you, My goal is always for the giggles and laughs.

9. canigetanotherbottleofwhine December 17, 2013 at 5:59 am #

Ack! I can’t stand the awkward greetings! I’m not much of a hugger either, so I always worry about whether I’m supposed to hug or not. I like the people who are aggressive huggers because I don’t have to worry, I know what’s going to happen. It’s the other idiots like myself that are the worse. We’re just standing there like – should we hug or…I like hardly know this person, sure, we’re related, but still…what’s their name again?

I wrote a post about 10 totally awkward handshakes. Similar kind of thing, but with strangers. All this people-interaction is hard.

• rynolexson December 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

I know right! There are so many things that can go SO SO SO wrong.

I will definitely be checking out your handshake post-I am always amused by different perspectives on social etiquette.